Berita

Sibu council opts for new Covid-19 safety measures at central market over full closure
Tarikh : 13 Apr 2021  Sumber Berita: The Star (Andy Chua)
 



SIBU: The municipal council will implement two new Covid-19 preventive measures at the central market here, which recorded four new cases two days ago, rather than close it outright.

Sibu Municipal Council (SMC) chairman Clarence Ting, who inspected the market on Tuesday (April 13), said it was not in favour of another closure like the one in February despite advice from the Health Ministry.

"It sounds easy to just say 'close the market'. The issue here is not to close it for another two weeks but to make it safer for the public," Ting said.

The central market houses some 1,200 traders.

"This time we will not close the whole market as all the hawkers will suffer. If, for example, a case is detected in the vegetable section, we will only cordon off that area for three days for sanitisation work to be carried out," he said.

The other preventive measure will be to install fencing at the four corners of the market which would allow the number and flow of visitors to be controlled.

The market was previously closed from Feb 8-28 after 47 cases were reported in the first week of February.

After it reopened in March, 14 cases were detected that month.

Ting added that when the market was reopened on March 1, a total of 700 people had to go for swab tests.

"If we close and reopen the market, we cannot just let the traders resume business. They will need a swab test again," he said.

On the recent cases in the market, he said the hawkers were infected by visitors.